Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dr Luxury

Possible Titles For A PhD Dissertation In Luxury Goods:

1. Hags, Fags and Bags: Gender Identity, Transgression and Ownership In The Consumption and Display of Luxury Goods

2. Change The Chanel: MultiMedia Depictions of Designer Wear and Luxury Goods

3. Birkin Stock: The Battle Between Comfort, Affordability, Statement and Style

4. Pearls of Wisdom: A History of the Use of Jewellery as Metaphor in Victorian Literature

5. Pearls Before Swine: The Economic Impact of The Trading and Taxing of Luxury Goods on Developing Countries and Agrarian Communities

6. Some Like it Yacht: An Ethnographic Study of Micro-Naval Communities* and Ocean -Liner Inhabitants

7. Ring-A-Ring-A-Rosie: The Environmental Impact of Goldsmiths and Silversmiths in Rural France, 1844-1906

8. You Stink! The Battle For Control in The "Perfume Wars", Chanel vs Calvin Klein

9. Scents and Sensibility: The Battle For Control in The "Perfume Wars", Chanel vs Calvin Klein

*My phrase which means "people who live on yachts"

8 comments:

Cléa said...

I like all 10. I think #2 is a winner! I can smell a reality TV show out of that PhD.

If I wrote #3, it would be a one liner: line them up and shoot em.

For #1, I suggest you give your spell check creative license...

Felix for Zosia said...

Thanks!
#6 might make quite a good reality teev show as well. You've got me thinking now...

brandy said...

Oh man, I loved these. Especially, 1, 6 and 9. They made me giggle. Well done!

Felix for Zosia said...

Thanks Brandy, I have to say, it is soooo much more fun writing thesis titles than it is writing a thesis.

Femikneesm said...

Love them all. Particularly No. 1 -have recently finished a Gender Studies honors thesis, and that title is WAY better than mine was.

Felix for Zosia said...

Thanks Fem, and Hi... I have to say though, it is certainly a lot easier to come up with titles when you don't have to worry about the content. Maybe I could set up a scheme selling titles to stressed postgrads...

Maxie said...

Haha. Very nice. These made me laugh.

Femikneesm said...

Hey that scheme would be a total money spinner - and you wouldn't even need to read the thesis!