Friday, December 14, 2007

A Fraction Too Much Fiction

A Fraction Too Much Fiction
What upsets me the most is that some of the characters RAN invented seem really cool, and I still want to meet them.
I could live without the so-called best friend Maddy (who is pregnant and engaged sort of against her wishes), especially as she turned a bit psycho towards the end. She never seemed all that interesting to be honest. She is engaged (in the RAN's head, obviously) to Patrick and I could do without him too. But I really wanted to meet Rupert, her brother. He got botox for a dare, and smiled for the first time in 10 years - he is an emo, so smiling usually not on the agenda, but his face was frozen that way for a few weeks. And he is friends with Jack Osbourne. I kind of wanted to meet the sister too, out of horrified awe. She is the practicing Mormon who fell in love with a dope-smoking winemaker (I found this particular little nugget so hilarious and fascinating that I figured it had to be true, because I couldn't imagine how anyone could make it up! Little did I know). I also wanted to meet Tom who likes to drink at The Four Seasons, and has a big white mo and no hair.

I'm still struggling with the fact that she went to so much effort. She made up email accounts and sent emails pretending to be 5 or 6 people, she wrote a letter from her 'friend' Hannah to NLJ, she wrote a suicide note to herself from her 'ex-boyfriend'... that last one is particularly grotesque and strange... I mean, what the fuck?

No comments: